The Skinny Knitter

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Why?

My god, such a profound sense of sadness & loss woke many of us up here in the states today as we sat glued to the tv or radio and heard about the London attacks. I don't know one person closely in London so I wasn't bombarded by the instant fear of "I hope so and so is okay", but I was hit by the cruelty of it.

Why do people feel the need to hurt others? How can one person's heart be so filled with hatred that they have no room left for love, kindness, humanity?

Maybe I'm naive, but I have no understanding of how anyone can hate so strongly. But who am I to be speaking? I can walk into a grocery store and buy all the food I want. I can walk around on the streets without a worry. I can be indignant when I am spoken to rudely. Not many have the freedom of that.

I have a real love for England & Scotland. Surprising, considering I've never been there. I remember being 5 and wanting desperately to have an English accent. I practiced, and practiced, driving my mom nuts trying to perfect it. I watched Mary Poppins so many times I could repeat the whole movie on command. My favorite author is Rosamund Pilcher, and when I found out there was a British market in my town I promptly got in my car and drove down to check it out. My dream vacation? Not to some hot, tropical spot, but to start out in Cornwall, and drive up through Scotland.

My heart goes out to everyone who lives in that beautiful country, and know that there is someone in Seattle, WA thinking of you today.


p.s. I took lots of great shots (HAHA) of my stash from the big Skeins Ltd sale, but I'll post em tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree Sam, I was very sad when I heard the news. It also brought back awful memories of 9/11 which still bother me alot (especially living out here). I have no idea how some people can have so much hate and so little respect for human life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home