The Skinny Knitter

Monday, June 27, 2005

So this is why we do it

I have finally realized why it is that we humans continue to reproduce. Well, besides the whole men (and some women) needing sex part. And the urge to knit piles of superwash wool booties. Because if you really stop to think about it, it does seem a bit strange.

I mean, it starts off with the most incredible searing pain you could imagine, involving parts of your body seeing daylight that HAVE NO BUSINESS SEEING DAYLIGHT. And then you have to put one of your most delicate parts in their MOUTH to let them suck & chew on as they please. And wake up 15 times in one night to put the damn binki back in. And at times things shoot simultaneously out of both ends of them. And the things that shoot out? FOUL & SMELLY. Enough to make grown men gag & run from the room.

And the crying? Does it ever end? Why yes, someday it will. At least that's what they all told me. And I finally believe them. It actually gets FUN.

The hubby is studying for a big Microsoft test invoving routers & ISP & IPSPCD whatever the hell that is. He has these computer lectures where he pushes play and the computer suddenly becomes a talking thing with charts & diagrams. It's terrible. His eyes light up and he hunches over hanging on every word. Me? I run from the room. It seriously frightens me how smart he must be to UNDERSTAND ONE FREAKING WORD OF IT. Give me a stock and I'll analyze the hell out of it. But computer geek stuff freaks me out.

So the little man & I decided to head downtown to the waterfront and go to the aquarium. With just one itsy stop at the Yarn Store. When I mentioned it to Drake I tried to just mention it in the middle of a sentence involving candy, and carousel rides to disguise it, but he saw through the whole thing.

"AWWW MAN", he yelled. "You have enough yarn! But candy? Do I really get candy?"

Now, not only do I have to find the yarn store, I have to find a candy store. Good thinking mom. But find the yarn store we did! We went to
Weaving Works, and had the best time. Drake stood at the ball winder table, and asked every person who came close if they would like him to wind their ball of yarn. He told them all that when he grows up he will work at that store, and wind everyone's balls and people will love him. It made this mama proud.

When I finally dragged him away from the ball winder long enough to look at pattern books he spied one of the spinning wheels they had set up. And a lady who works there was nice enough to set it up and let him make his own piece of yarn. He carried that piece of yarn around all day and told everyone he made it all by himself out of "Sheep's hair...from their BODY!"

When I finally looked at the clock and realized we'd been there TWO HOURS I realized we'd better get to the aquarium before it closed. So we said our fond goodbye's....Drake yelling his until we were out of hearing range. Everyone in there was so nice, and people even came up to me and told me what a cool kid I have. Way too much fun.

Then we drove around for the next 45 minutes trying to find a parking spot downtown because Seattle is crazy on the weekend in the summer, and this mama's too cheap to pay to park. But AH HA! Patience, my friends. I found one, close to where we needed to be and off we went.

It was such a great feeling to be holding the little man's hand, walking along the waterfront, and carrying on a conversation with him. It felt like going somewhere with a friend. He didn't whine, cry, pitch a fit, throw himself headlong onto the ground in hysterics, or demand a drink of water THIS INSTANT. He had been there before, and I hadn't so he took it very seriously to show the mama a good time. He held my hand pulling me around to show me all the coolness that is the aquarium.

On the way home I was driving and thinking about the day. And it hit me. I actually had fun. I mean, real fun. I enjoyed every minute of it. It wasn't one of those times where the entire time you're thinking....this kid better be enjoying this, and REMEMBER IT. And you're uptight the whole time trying to keep your shit together, and not loose the kid, or bag, or purse. I didn't even go home and collapse from the exhaustion of it all. I went home and thought about how much fun it was and realized this is why people have kids. IT'S SO WORTH IT.

My parents also came over for a bit on Saturday to visit. I totally love my parents. So does Drake. He has this special chant he starts whenever he realizes it's them I'm talking to on the phone.

So I showed my mom the sock I'm making her (Go with the Flow from Summer 05 Interweave Knits) and I'm telling her it's going to be a bit shorter than the pattern shows. She asks how many yards of yarn it takes and I told her that my skein only has about 127. She then says "So, I'd need about 200 to make a sock I'd like." WHAT? The sock is now mine. She realized how it came out right away and tried to backstep, but the words were already out. Too late dear mummy. Since I have smaller feet I can make a perfect sock for me. And she gets one with cheaper, scratchier yarn. No 100% merino for her!

Mondays? Officially suck. I wanna do something fun with my new found friend instead.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    D'oh! Mama should have kept quiet about the sock yardage! ;) It sounds like you had a blast at WW. I really wanted to go this weekend to check out what Koigu they had, but when I realized I-5 was closed all weekend, I chickened out.

    But c'mon - dish! You didn't walk out of the store empty handed, did you??? Did you pick up any great new goodies? You have to let us live vicariously.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like a great day with your little man!

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    Suzanne...wanna hear something funny? I-5 was clear both ways. I was a tad scared also.

    And the Koigu selection was great. ;) I had three skeins in my hands, but put them all back to get the Adrienne Vitadini pattern books and some Katia cotton blend for a tank top. Not very exciting! But I suppose I could still manage a picture. Soon come :)

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Awww, too cute about your day with Drake. Emily is the same way now... I love spending time with her. Even Collin is getting like that, but NOT when the two of them are together. Apart, they are angels. Together -- they are devil spawn.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Stalker Angie said…

    Awww....You've gone and made me miss my nephew. He's been my bestest friend since he was about 5 years old. Little boys are soooo cool. He's 13 now and I still get him for a week every summer. We laugh the whole time. Hurry up July!

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't the "almost age 5" great? I feel like he is a friend some days and have a blast too. Glad you had such a good day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home