The Skinny Knitter

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Insanity

The insanity that is knitters never ceases to amaze me. That, and the insanity of 100,000 people letting off fireworks in my neighborhood after 11 pm. All you evil firework blowing up people do not make this mama happy.

On Saturday there was a super duper yarn sale at the local LYS. And by super duper I mean INSANE. Everything was 40% off, and that surely justifies standing in line for a hour and a half waiting to give them my money. For anyone who was there I was the one with the bright red face covered in a sheen due to the fact I decided it was cold enough to put a sweatshirt on. Sure, outside maybe. But in a small shop full of rabid knitters? Bad idea.

I was also the one who cast on a project and had a few inches finished by the time I handed over my Visa. The ONLY ONE!!! I was sure other people would start knitting, I mean what better time is there than standing in a line. And by line I mean a not moving one inch line. But nope, I was the lone novelty....people were pointing at me. I can only imagine what they were saying. Were they criticizing my technique? Were they admiring my incredibly red, sweaty face? Oogling over the piles of yarn I ran around wildy scooping into my bulging bag(s)??

The only comment I got out of the hubby when I finally arrived home was "wow, that must've been some sale."

You think??!!

I am somewhat regretting how crazy I went though, because I spent my yarn budget for at least the next 6 months. What am I going to do with myself?!?! Yarn buying is my de-stresser. When I feel like my eyeballs are going to burst from looking at Excel spreadsheets, I go on over to
Knitpicks or some other life saver and just stare away, plotting what I cannot live without. And now I must LIVE WITHOUT.

Will I make it? The next few months will be a real test.

I have been mysteriously missing for the past few days, no? I have been in a world of work, work, and more work. Work at home, work at work, work on my brain. I was brushing my teeth this morning and suddenly work popped in.

WORK DOES NOT BELONG THERE.

I should be able to brush my teeth in peace. Needless to say, work has been insane. I have help arriving next Monday, but making it till then is questionable. There is sooo damn much on my shoulders right now. And all I really want on my shoulders is a nice tank top and a cool breeze.

This weekend was an awesome break though. Time for cold drinks, yard work, knitting, visiting friends & family, and sleep. Sleep is the cure. all. It makes everything better. When I woke up on Sunday I knew I was feeling great, but only when I learned it was 11:30 did I realize how great life could be. I. slept. till. 11:30. UNINTERRUPTED.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in the Seattle area. Quite warm (bordering on hot), sunny, and not a cloud in the sky. I made sure to slather myself with sunscreen, but got a shock when I looked in the mirror this morning. You see, I did a fabulous job getting the sunscreen on my arms, chest, shoulders, face. But I seriously neglected my back. Not my whole back however. Just bits and pieces of it. So I have great white streaks all over my back surrounded by bright red. Oh, it's a pretty sight I tell you. So pretty I probably would post a picture of it, if I could figure out how to take a picture of my own back.

All in all it was a good 4th though. Drake loved the fireworks and even stayed awake till the wee hours of the morning to join the others in late night firework lighting. I went to bed with a pillow over my ears while the hubby handled that one. Heh.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was probably 3 people back from you in line at the yarn store sale - saw you knitting. Me, I was way too hot to think about knitting! Glad you got some good bargains, I know I did!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn damn and double damn! I was out of town and I had to miss the sale. Can you post a picture of your haul so that I can live vicariously???

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    Lisa, I love it that you were behind me in the yarn sale!!! I have no idea why, but it excites me to talk to people on the internet & then actually see them in person! I wish we could've chatted.

    And Suzanne...I'll post pictures tomorrow! I took em specially for you ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home