The Skinny Knitter

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Because I knew it would happen at some point

Not too long ago my MIL took Drake to Disneyland. A very excited Drake, who counted down the days every five minutes as if things would suddenly change if he just counted ONE MORE TIME. They did not. But finally the big day came, and we all piled into the car and drove them to the airport. It did things to my heart I didn't think I could handle watching her take his little hand and lead him off to the big bad airport. He turned back once to wave goodbye and then disappeared behind the automatic doors. I fought back tears as the hubby drove off, valiantly concentrating on my knitting, one row at a time on my sock.

He called three times the first day, twice the second, and none at all the third. Well, except to call and ask if it would be okay to get a Star Wars "blaster" because grandmama made him. He knows me well, that I've never really seen Star Wars, and thus had no idea what a "blaster" was. It's a gun. I figured it out too late to object.

Before he left I was working on the striped sweater for Declan and he told me he wanted an EXACT copy of that sweater, with a few changes. He sketched what he had in mind on this trip and came home with a pretty good drawing. It was totally different from Dec's. I had already bought the yarn. A design conference ensued, tears were shed, but we worked out our differences, making the most of the yarn I had bought. Pictures coming soon. (Hint: His most pressing concern was that it had both a Nike & Umbro logo)

Drake & his grandmama came home with lots of pictures and stories of their trip, but I heard about it all mostly from Drake. My MIL stopped by this weekend on her way to a birthday party and I got to hear more stores.

They spent the first two days in Disneyland & California Adventure, but on their third day decided to head to Legoland. It was, according to Drake, a very long bus ride. Three days it took to get there. They climbed on and settled into their seats right behind the driver. Drake turned to look at grandmama and proclaimed:

"You know, if it wasn't for Martin Luther King Jr., you'd have to be sitting waaaay back in the back of the bus right now. And I'd be sitting here."

For those of you who haven't seen my MIL, she does indeed have very dark skin, she's from Jamaica after all. I'm sure she handled it all very well, as every eye on the bus stared at her to see how she reacted.

We had a great laugh about it....I knew it would come up at some point, just not so publicly.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The things kids say! I have to laugh though!

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is just too cute though. I love how kids think. And good for you for letting him go with grandmom. I am a mess when michael isn't with me.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger goodkarma said…

    Oh my. Out of the mouths of babes...! I'm sure his grandma handled it marvelously. :) And I can not imagine how you felt to watch your baby boy go through those airport doors. Even with his grandma, it would still be so hard. You're a brave mama. xo

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People should read this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home